- React and its ecosystem (Next.js, Redux, etc)
- The latest HTML, CSS, and ES features and their browser compatibility
- Usability testing (Optimizely, Hotjar, AB tests, live user testing)
- Making elegant, modular, understandable, scalable solutions to problems
- Rapid, iterative, agile prototyping (with and without mocks/specs)
- Building to exact, pixel-perfect spec
- Prioritizing testing, accessibility, and usability
- Express, Postgres, API design, SQL database design
- Figma, JIRA, Datadog, Scalyr
- Vue, Ember, Python, Racket
- Teaching others, learning from others
- Pair programming, small-team coordination
- Compassion, communication, unshakeable curiosity
- Eagerness to learn and grow, from and with others
- If I don't know it now, I can learn it in two weeks
Engineer II @ Zola
2019 – Present
- Move product from prototype phase to monetization
- Transition team to Typescript
- Build and maintain shared component library across half a dozen teams
- Work in tandem with and learn from top-notch design and product teams
- Help standardize best practices across ~30 frontend engineers
- Improve site accessibility
- Improve site performance across key metrics
- Research and implement additions to company-wide stack and standards
Developer @ 221B LLC
2018 – 2019
- Use Vue, Express, and Elasticsearch to build open-science-aligned apps and data visualizations for various clients including Notre Dame and Johns Hopkins, develop a wide range of internal applications using Vue and Express.
- Consult on a variety of Ember projects, both academic and commercial.
- Jeff Spies, Principal — (574) 514-4307
Junior Developer @ Center for Open Science
2017 – 2018
- Rapidly developed prototypes of various services for current and potential funders.
- Worked with Ember and Django Rest Framework.
- Jeff Spies, CTO, labs team lead — (574) 514-4307
- Steve Loria, platform team lead — (920) 410-4154
Intern @ Center for Open Science
2016 – 2017
- Built a dynamic site scraper to allow for easily deployable static mirrors of osf.io for the sake of simple and effective content preservation.
- Jeff Spies, CTO, intern team lead — (574) 514-4307
University of Virginia
AUG 2013 – MAY 2017
- TA’d for Artificial Intelligence and Game Design, received A+s in undergrad and grad Algorithms, did research on compression algorithms and user interface design, accepted into UVA’s highly competitive poetry-writing program. Took a slew of linguistics, neurobiology, and philosophy courses on the side.
Lettersection lets you compare your Letterboxd movie watchlists with your friends to find a movie that everyone has been meaning to watch.
Published writer and photographer, always taking an online class or three. Wrote and then (after realizing what I had done) burned a script that could have ended up altering the Freedom of Information Act. Pro bono consultant for various non-profits, including the Jefferson School African American Heritage Center.